Saturday, January 8, 2011

What happens in Vegas?

I couple of really strange things happened in the last 12 hours. I'ma make a bunch of nano-blog posts here and share them.

1 - We were waiting in the Las Vegas airport and made a new friend. Taylor and I were at the gate waiting to board our (delayed) flight and Thayne was off charging his phone. When he came back we asked him where he want. He replied that he had been at the recharge zone and this is when our new friend mumbled (to us? to himself?) "it takes forever to charge at the recharge zone." Oh-kay buddy. I told my friend Taylor that I would put money on him being an Android user; not because all Android users are crazy -- that's not the stereotype -- but because he just seemed like the kind of guy that's sure that Steve Jobs is out for his soul. So a few minutes later Taylor decides to go find a drinking fountain. As he's walking away crazy guy mutters -- just loud enough to be barely audible to us --  "It's a marketing decision to remove the drinking fountain. They want to force you to buy a bottle of water."

So while he's gone some executives in suits for a software company start talking to Thayne about what tablets were at CES. They were asking about what was good, what was crappy, etc. and crazy guy injects himself back into the conversation, at normal conversational volume this time: "If you take a screw driver and bash it down on the screen of an iPad, I guarntee it would break. I know from experience. But if you take one to the screen of a Droid X, it won't break. It won't even get scratched. Because of the Gorilla glass. I tried to screw up my Droid X so Best Buy would give me a new one. Because I have insurance. But it wouldn't break. I ran over it with a truck and the screen still wouldn't break, but the camera broke." Thayne's response was priceless: "I just don't have much every-day contact with screw drivers."

Mercifully, we started boarding.

2 - I got completely lost in Holladay and ended up in Cottonwood Heights.

3 - Something about the flight (I'm guessing...the number of hours I'd been awake probably didn't help) screwed up something in my inner ear and driving on the freeway was a surreal experience.

4 - I stopped at Wal-Mart to get a white elephant gift (Because where else are you going to get one at 1:30 in the morning) and a guy was pushing a new HDTV out to his car in a shopping cart. Who buys a new TV at 1:30 in the morning? He does I guess.

5 - I then proceeded to find the strangest DVD I could find in the $5 bin, which turned out to be a $2.50 bin. I'm sure the guy that rung me in electronics wondered what kind of person I was buying one strange DVD in the middle of the night.

2 comments:

Richard McLean said...

I've been at Walmart at 1:30 in the morning. (Usually buying drugs because I'm sick and we were out)

A) People Buy the Stangest Things at 1:30 in the morning.

B) WHY on EARTH do you have your KIDS with you when you are shopping at 1:30 in the morning??!!

orangemily said...

I love hearing about your funny experiences!
Also I'm a little worried about my husband buying drugs at 1:30 in the morning.