Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Apple's January 27th Event -- my running commentary.

Today at 11 AM Mountain time, Apple's big event was starting. I had Book of Mormon. AS much as I love these events -- half the fun is to have Steve Jobs guide you through the journey, all RDF style. If I can follow a live blog, that's fine -- you're refreshing every 20 seconds and stuff, and getting the info spoonfed to you. But getting it all at once? That's anticlimatic.

So since I was already missing the opportunity to watch it happen in realtime, I decided to camp out, live in a bubble, and do *NOTHING* until I could watch the Apple event.

The funny thing was, when I camped myself out in the Library, I felt ok -- but when I made a run to Target and out for dinner, this thing has been so hyped, I thought for sure there would be a billboard or something spoiling the fun. Thankfully, there was not.

If you haven't watched the video yet, and you plan to, and you want me to watch it along with you...open my running commentary here and we'll watch it together.


12:20 PM - I'm sure the whole world knows by now. It is starting to kill me all the sudden. Maybe I'll cheat and look on Apple Rumors after class.

12:55 PM - I'm walking to the Library, and I'm trying not to look at people's computer screens in case they are on Apple's website.

1:02 PM -- Are you kidding me? The stream isn't up yet? I don't even dare venture out onto the internet. Hopefully I can get some homework done…but make no mistake…my attention is already shot for the rest of the day. (I planned ahead and got ahead on my homework. I knew this would happen.)

1:03 PM -- Still not up.

1:18 PM -- Still not up. Must have been BIG. Maybe they're waiting for their servers to recover from people visiting Apple.com

1:38 -- Still not up. I'm calling 3:00 my official "Uncle" time. Of course, now that I have a value to erode...

1:49 -- Still not up. The trading day closes at 3:30. I wonder if there's some relation to their stock price and when they let the video it. I'll extend my "uncle" time to 4:00. That should be enough time for the market to close, and Steve to appear on CNBC. He always appears on CNBC.

1:52 -- I kind of wish there were a way to send out a flare, but I know if I turn my phone on or anything like that…the surprise will all be over. I've waited this long for the surprise, I can wait a little longer.

1:52 -- PS -- Still not up.

2:04 - Still not up. But this Ray Charles is pretty bomb.


2:14 -- Come on Apple web team! Stop playing with your tablet and get the stream posted!

2:15 -- I saw a red badge in my task switcher and thought I had Mail.app open. It was the number of overdue tasks I have in OmniFocus (4)

2:15 -- Turns out I already completed 2 of the 4 tasks.

2:15 -- Still not up.

2:22 -- Listening to the Apples in Stereo off somebody's shared iTunes. Googling to see what' on Wikipedia. I'm listening to Apples in Stereo post the departure of their longtime drummer. I'm sure long time fans don't like the band with the new drummer, but it sounds good to me.

2:23 -- UP! Ok it's not, but I thought maybe if I wrote that before I actually checked…


2:29 -- Exploring this person's library some more. Note to self: Make sure that if iTunes library is shared, the Voice Memos playlist is not shared. Somebody uses their iPhone to record concerts…too bad it way overloads the Mic. What's up with the Dead Cab For Cutie in here? Does he think this is a regular playlist to put songs in?

2:30 -- No Miley Cyrus in this library. That's too bad. How am I supposed to have a party in the Library-U-A?

2:31 -- Still not up.

2:32 -- Unfortunately his rip of this CD breaks up at this point. Apparently this is one that somebody ripped and never got around to, you know, actually listening to. Time to find a new album.

2:34 -- Architecture in Helsinki? Sounds interesting…

2:42 -- Still not up.

2:51 -- SNU

3:03 -- Still not up, but I notice -- looking at my dashboard -- that AAPL stock is just slightly ahead of the market. Up .94% vs .79% for QQQQ. That's good…but I'm not sure how to read it. It could either be really good -- people were so impressed that Apple's stock didn't drop -- or really bad…people responded with a "Meh"

3:18 -- Nothing

3:32 -- Nothing. 28 more minutes…

3:52 -- Nothing…


3:55 -- Oh dear. It's not going to be up by 4. I have come so far though…I'm sticking this one out. I'm afraid that when I turn my phone back on…the whole world will have ended, and I will have just been chilling in the library the whole time.


4:55 -- I just did a lap around most of the whole floor of the library. This is a big place. Still nothing.


5:25 -- I give up. Phone is on (But notification for SMS is off…so hopefully that won't spoil anything). I'm going to dinner and run some errands.

5:26 -- 14 emails. I should take a communications holiday more often.

7:12 -- Back on campus. Let's see what's up.

7:13 -- YUSSSSS

---From this point the time will refer to the time into the movie.

0:22 -- Woah, that chair looks worn out. I think it must be the chair right out of Steve's office. They don't usually put big fatty leather chairs on stage…and I don't see a computer at all. very interesting.

1:00 -- Woah…no beating around the bush. Right into it. Oh, updates first. Of course.

2:21 -- Apparently Steve admires his stores empty more than full.

3:48 -- $15.6 B of revenue is a lot of money. It's cool that Steve says he doesn't think about that. I'm sure he thinks about it a little.

5:00 -- I don't know if I'd count Laptops as mobile devices…but ok Steve. I'll give it to you.

5:15 -- Are they going to change their name to Apple mobile?

6:00 -- PowerBook on the screen. I wonder if they had that photo lying in the archives somewhere, or if somebody had to go dig that laptop out of the archives so they could take a Keynote-worthy photo.

6:45 -- "Everybody uses a laptop and a smartphone" HA. It does feel that way sometimes.

7:00 -- He's talking about what lies in the middle. I'm curious too -- it seems like some people I have talked to want MacBook Pro power in a package smaller than a MacBook Air. With a touch screen. Oh there he goes *watching* videos he says.

7:15 -- Oh interesting. "Reading eBooks."

8:19 -- Uh oh…Steve's gonna rip Netbooks apart big time.

9;00 -- iPad. That's kind of a ugly name I think, but I'll take it.

9:12 -- Woah woah woah…it's got a HUGE…MacBook dispay-style bezel. I wonder if it has a rubber bumper around the front so you can lay it down face-down.

10:00 -- I'm not sure about this iPhone OS thing. I guess we'll see.

10:13 -- "Unbelievably great…"

10:50 -- Oh hi giant onscreen keyboard. "It's a dream to type on" -- that's what he says about the iPhone's keyboard too…I don't know that I'd call the iPhone a dream, but it's quite nice.

11:30 -- "Maps works with Google's back end…"

12:00 -- Youtube -- I wonder if iPad does flash.

14:00 -- There's a big "Plugin Missing" thing on part of the NY Times. That's not a full web browsing experience Steve…

14:38 -- "Want to buy some tickets…? Grab the pad that's in your kitchen…" -- Apparently he dreams of multiple Pads in each home. I don't think that's exactly far-fetched.

15:25 -- He sure is saying "and again" a lot

16:25 -- Metro paris map…because nobody on the Metro is going to mug you for /that/

17:11 -- I wonder how much practicing he's been doing…even after close to 2 years, I still can't type on my iPhone when people are watching!!

18:00 -- I finally just noticed how they're running the display off this thing…he hid a charger cable in his comfy chair. I didn't know Apple made black cords!

18:40 -- The audience is just eerily quiet. That's the only thing I'm not liking at all. Maybe we need the german guy on stage to talk about "Snow Leopard"

19:00 -- Griffin (and every other accessory company) is already working on a wall-dock for this thing. Show your photos while it charges! In that respect, I think it's actually more practical than a digital photo frame.

20:40 -- Hey, we see a shot of the control booth. That's cool.

21:15 -- To tell you the truth, I can really envision this being like another iPod. Nobody quite gets it right now, and it might not even take off for a year…but I think several years from now it will be big, and I also think EVERY manufacturer will have "Pad devices" on the market.

22:10 -- Still waiting for week calendar view in iPhone. Please please please.

23:30 -- Sushi Boat better double up their staff for lunch today! I'm sure they'll be sending Steve a TY card after the event.

24:30 -- WHY is nobody clapping or excited?? Did the RDF wear off, or do we just have a lame audience?

25:50 -- Don't show this sequence from UP -- I'll cry.

26:20 -- Audience: When Steve says "Isn't that wonderful?" you're supposed to applaud.

26:40 -- Tons of screens and backlit keyboards visible on the audience floor. Ha.

27:20 -- IPS -- super happy about that.

27:50 -- Hello FA Semiconductor.

28:10 -- I wonder how much they'll charge for each memory step up.

28:40 -- What is the battery life of this remarkable device?

29:00 -- The REAL good news is, with a dock connector, it'll be painless to add a little extra battery capacity if you need to. I'm looking at you Monoprice…

30:00 -- I don't know…I'm not sure the walled-garden approach of the App store is the right way to run the iPad. I want to do whatever I want on my iPad, not what Apple wants me to do.

30:35 -- "Right out of the box." -- Audience…that's another missed cheering cue. Gosh this audience is LAME. LAME LAME LAME.

32:00 -- This "Play the game tiny in the middle of the screen" is vaguely remnicient of all those years in PC gaming when display technology was far outpacing graphics card technology.

33:50 -- WE give you this GIANT screen, and STILL only 16 pixels per screen :-D

34:45 -- "Today!" silence…….clap clap clap…they were a little slow, but at least they didn't totally miss that clap cue.

36:06 -- Man, if you're a developer and Apple calls you…better clear your schedule for 2 weeks and hope you're all caught up on your sleep.

36:50 -- Apple is demoing a FPS game. Wow.

37:40 -- Whoops…that 2-finger swipe didn't quite work for the first grenade. Good thing the game is in demo mode!

40:03 -- I'm wondering if they'll make "Fat Binary" apps…iPad apps that work on iPhone too. I wonder if they'll be priced higher.

40:30 -- This woman is a little stiff and rehearsed. She should loose the heels…then she'd be more comfortable on stage.

41:00 -- "And it will save them to my iPhone, so I can read them whenever I want." That's way cool…but wasn't the point of the iPad a better reading experience?

41:51 -- "And everything you expect from the times." -- Another VERY LATE audience clap cue. Steve, just invite me next time, I'll help them know when to clap.

44:35 -- "You can also undo" -- I think they should make a left thumb tap and hold, followed by a left index-finger tap a gesture for undo. (Hit command+z on your keyboard and see what I mean)

45:41 -- Apparently suit-coat, untucked shirt, jeans was the required wardrobe for this event.

46:50 -- You know, they still haven't mentioned what the screen resolution is.

48:00 -- you know, I wonder if they're all sharing 1 sports jacket just off stage.

48:43 -- The shared sports jacket was too big for the baseball guy. He was able to borrow one of Scott Forstall's shirts though. I imagine it's tough when Apple tells you to report to Cupertino immediately, but won't tell you for what or for how long.

51:12 -- I have to tell you, it is pretty cool that they let developers develop and not have to worry about running a business so much. The brushes guy is probably able to support more users since Apple handles most the money, collecting taxes, etc.

52:00 -- "Amazon's done great job…now we're going to stand on their shoulders…" is that Steve's nice way of saying "We're grateful for the little people we are stepping on to get here…"

52:55 -- Books are cool, but -- like music -- I don't want to be locked into the iPad with books. I want my books to be able to go wherever I want. Then again, maybe Apple will make an iBooks app for Kindle. Hmmm….

55:45 -- You know, they are going to charge $1000 for this. They'll be successful because an Amaon Kindle DX costs close to $450 or $500 I think, and this does so much more. I really wonder how the reading experience will stack up to eInk though. Better is some ways…but it's a LCD, which is really a lot different.

56:40 -- ePub books, open format, he didn't say anything about DRM. That's delicious.

58:00 -- Again…do I have to buy iWork twice now, or does the Mac version come with the iPad version? That's all I want to know.

59:00 -- A little Apple dock dongle with a VGA/DVI connector and a wireless remote receiver…I can feel that.

59:40 -- I wonder if it's going to make the "Ker-ding" sound every time you plug the dock in.

1:00:00 -- you know, they haven't talked at all about how we get files on or off of the iPad. Am I going to have to get all the photos I want in my Keynote into the photos app? Guess we'll see.

1:01:18 -- Audience…multitouch gestures…that's another applause cue. Yeesh.

1:02:00 -- Oh come on…CLAP you people, CLAP!

1:04:18 -- Phil's line today is: "The most beautiful….you've ever seen." "The most beautiful ruler you've ever seen."

1:05:23 -- I get it. These are obviously publishing people. (They finally clapped…at the auto flow of text around an image).

1:08:00 -- I think the soft keyboard is probably great, but all I'm saying is that the first company to come up with a little soft-folio that's ½ holder for iPad, and ½ bluetooth keyboard wins. Then again…I wonder if they can load a driver in the background, or if that's not permitted on iPad.

1:10:00 -- $9.99 each. So there we go.

1:11:00 -- "Isn't it great?" Applause. Yuss! They're finally figuring this out.

1:12:00 -- With 3G…who? Forget the price! Who is the provider?

1:12:00 -- Aaaaand…we're forced into unlimited data for iPhone, but now we're tired on the iPad. Hmmm….

1:13:00 -- Sorry Steve, I'm not paying $60 for mobile data plus my broadband at home.

1:14:00 -- NO CONTRACT! Ok, I'm sold on that.

1:15:00 -- Yeah, but does it come with a built-in SIM ejector tool?

1:15:30 -- The only bad thing about streaming is I know I have 17 minutes left. What's Steve going to do with 17 minutes? That's not quite enough time for a Verizon iPhone. Maybe John Mayer will show up and do a quick demo of GarageBand touch or something.

1:16:00 -- Pricing time…get ready to scale the RDF up BIG TIME!

1:17:00 -- Ok, for the first time…I'm really on edge. What's the price?!

1:18:00 -- $499 for 16 gig. $999 for the 64, right? Still, that $499 is dang impressive!

1:18:30 -- I don't really want to pay for a 3G radio, but it would probably help resale. Impressive pricing. 6 new SKUs. That's aggressive.

1:20:00 -- Actually, as a iPhone user and lover, I bet I could get by -- hold it, look…they've built a picture frame app in. Ha! Sweet. Ok, I was saying, -- Oh keyboard dock. That's cool too. But how about a portable Keyboard dock? Now, what was I saying? Oh yeah, I bet I could get by with the $499 iPad. If that doesn't prove the RDF is out in full force, nothing will.

1:21:00 -- I love watching these videos. I'll download it and watch it 10 times tonight I'm sure. I'm ready for some white backgrounds, Jony Ive, and a song I'll go immediately to iTunes to buy.

1:22:30 -- You know, he didn't highlight the buttons on the side, or tell me if there was a speaker or Nike+ built in.

1:23:00 -- "Order of magnitude" more powerful. Scott Forsall is such an engineer.

1:23:30 -- Really though, maybe not while I'm at BYU, but the iMac + iPad ecosystem is suddenly a lot more achievable for me than, say, MacBook Air and an iMac.

1:26:00 -- I can see all those grandmas who are tired of squinting at their iPod touch screens going to this thing in droves.

1:27:00 -- A4 -- because the iPad is about as big as a piece of A4 paper. I get it. Cute.

1:29:00 -- "So, let's go back to the beginning" -- I just wanted to point out that these wrap-ups are a signature part of the Steve Jobs presentation style.

1:30:00 -- You know Steve Jobs follows the rumor mill when he takes time to dispel rumors that have been flying around like "It will be hard to use." "75 million people already know how to use it" pa-Jobs says.

1:31:00 -- Steve Jobs is one of the few people I know who can get away with saying the text on his slide verbatim. This is because he does it so infrequently, and only at pivotal moments.

1:31:56 -- I wonder what the significance of 600 and 1500 is on the road sign there.

1:32:00 -- Wow.

1 comment:

Megs said...

I think it is pretty cool my self. Something I can see happening with this, is being sold to medical places where everything has become digital. This is a lot easier to carry around than a laptop, and probably a lot easier to type on than a palm.