Thursday, January 28, 2010

5 More Thoughts

Dang, I jumped in the shower and came up with 5 more thoughts.

$15 Data Plan

The iPad could be -- and I actually hope it is -- a trojan horse to bring a $15/250 MB plan to iPhone. If they offered it, I would take it up in a heart beat. I could then easily justify another $15 monthly plan for my iPad. I upgraded to an iPhone 3GS in the middle of September. That was 4.5 months ago. I have used 1.2 GB of data, or just a hair over 250 MB per month. I am frequently in WiFi range, but because of the hassle BYU's WiFi login, I never ever turn my WiFi on. That usage number also includes some heavy tethering action during CES.

What I am saying is that I could easily get away with 500 MB of data shared between 2 mobile devices for my $30 a month.

What I would /really/ go for, on top of a $15/250 plan, is a setup whereby AT&T would automagically upgrade me to unlimited on any months that I exceeded 250 MB. It could even pop up a notification or something.

Lastly, every time I'm with my sister and brother-in-law, my sister says "I want an iPhone" and my brother in law says "I don't want to pay $30 a month for an unlimited data plan." If they introduced a $15 data plan tier, I think iPhone sales would grow even more.

Excuse me, there's a SIM slot in your iPod Touch

I don't think it would be beyond the realm of possibilities to see a SIM slot *and* a camera show up in the iPod Touch come November. Of course, there's always the chance we'll get a camera and an empty space inside the iPod Touch where a SIM would fit -- but we can dream, right? Seriously though, same SIM slot, same data plans. iPod touch sales have now far surpassed iPhone sales. I'm sure AT&T would love to be making a little REVENUEEEE off that.

Speaking of 3G

If I've read it right, the iPad will do 2100Mhz 3G, which is the frequency of TMobile's 3G in the USA. The iPhone does not do 2100Mhz 3G. This opens the door for TMobile to provide iPad service, if they choose, and potentially iPod Touch data service come November.

In using the new Micro SIM standard, Apple gave AT&T a little bit of lead-time to grab customers, but left the door open for TMobile if they want to join in the party.

In using the Micro SIM standard in the iPad (Which has plenty of room, it would appear, for a larger SIM), Apple is ensuring that carriers all over will be ready to support MicroSIM for the iPod Touch, when it comes out in November.


So I have to pay for everything 3 times now?

I have some apps (Like InstaPaper Pro and LDSScriptures) that are great on the iPhone, and I was happy to pay for them. I'm not sure how the up-scaling works, but I hope that if they make a Pad optimized version of these apps, which are really no different than their phone counterparts, that Apple gives them a way to bundle the iPhone and iPad apps under 1 purchase price. It wouldn't be fair for them to charge for the Phone version and then give the Pad version away free, but I don't want to pay twice for an app if the only difference in the Pad version is that they checked "Compile for iPad" in XCode.

That said, some apps can be completely different with the increased screen space -- like the Brushes app they demoed. For those apps, I'd be happy to pay again. I like supporting developers.

Speaking of gateway drugs...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the iPad sold through the iPod sales channel. This means you could pick up an iPad at places you wouldn't be buying a MacBook at -- like WalMart and Radio Shack.

What about printing?


If I'm running Pages and Numbers, I'd better be able to print

What about loosening API restrictions?

The thought of controlling a Keynote presentation on the iPad from my iPhone kind of boggles my mind, and you know it's coming.


Last but not least...

Take note:

Apple's small touch-screen device, sans phone, is an iPod Touch, not an iTouch.

Apple's large-screen touch device is an iPad, not a big iTouch, not an iTouch Pro.

1 comment:

orangemily said...

I'm too cheap to pay $30 for the data plan, but would totally swing for a $15 for a tiered option.