Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Focusing on what's important

Just a short post tonight.

I've been involved a lot with entrepreneurship and such lately. Surely it's an exciting world, driven by the dual, elusive opportunities for fame and fortune.

Every book or bit of information I've read about entrepreneurship eventually gets to the part about how you need to learn to give it away, even when you have nothing to give, if you ever want to be successful.

I was reading in the Book of Mormon today, and it even states this, pretty clearly actually. I don't know why I'm surprised.

(Note: For my Book of Mormon class, we split the scriptures up into little "sense lines" -- lines that can /almost/ stand on their own. I really like it. I'm presenting these verses split as such)

Jacob 2:17-19

17. Think of your brethren
like unto yourselves,
and be familiar with all
and free with your substance,
that they may be rich like unto you.

18. But before ye seek for riches,
seek ye for the kingdom of God.

19. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ
ye shall obtain riches,
if ye seek them;
and ye will seek them for the intent to do good--
to clothe the naked,
and to feed the hungry,
and to liberate the captive,
and administer relief
to the sick and the afflicted.

3 comments:

orangemily said...

I like it!

Annj said...

Wow way to read your scriptures and liken it unto yourself. You rock!

Bonnie said...

That Book of Mormon! It does have a way of bringing us back to earth - so we can focus on what is most important.